Friday 31 October 2014

2 weeks to go - setting up my blog

I’m very excited that in 2 weeks time I will be travelling to Uganda to spend an amazing week seeing first-hand the wonderful life changing work which WaterAid do! I have been a fundraiser and advocate for WaterAid for the last 11 years and am passionate about the vital work they do to provide clean drinking water, sanitation and hygiene education to some of the world’s poorest people. Did you know that 1 in 10 people in the world are without clean water and 1 in 3 people do not have a toilet? A child dies every minute because of a lack of clean water and safe sanitation! I find this shocking!

I feel very honoured to have been chosen as a WaterAid ambassador and represent the Environment Agency during our supporters’ trip to Uganda. I am really looking forward to meeting some of the people whose lives have been transformed by WaterAid projects. Each year WaterAid organise a supporter’s trip for representatives from UK water companies and the Environment Agency. This is an opportunity for some of WaterAid’s most active supporters to experience WaterAid’s work on the ground and share their stories with colleagues, friends, family, and the media when they get back. This blog is one of the ways in which I will be sharing my stories and photos.



I have met the fantastic group of people who will be travelling to Uganda with me and we’ve had a fascinating pre-briefing on what to expect from our week out there. We will be visiting several communities in urban areas in the capital of Uganda, Kampala, and rural areas in the Amuria district, near to Soroti. We will be meeting people who don’t yet have clean drinking water or toilets, visiting communities where WaterAid are currently building water pumps and latrines, and promoting hygiene, and experiencing places where WaterAid’s work has transformed communities, families’ and individual’s lives. It promises to be a fascinating, inspiring, stimulating, and amazing trip. Most probably tiring too, as we will be working and travelling for long days. We will have our brilliant film-maker, Tadg, with us to record all the key moments from the trip. Now I’ve got my visa, had my vaccinations, been to my pre-trip briefing and set up this blog, I’d better start planning what to take with me!...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie,

    Hope the packing is going well! Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday as we embark on our incredible trip :)

    Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Sophie

    Not long to go now! Hoping you learn as much as I did when I joined the India trip. Looking forward to reading your blog and speaking soon.

    Best wishes, Jacqui

    ReplyDelete